CPS for mini

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Tue Feb 9 22:40:59 GMT 1999

>Tom Parker wrote:
>>
>> Michael D. Porter <mdporter at rt66.com> wrote:
>>
>> >rpm. I would say that a thin bit of stainless probably won't cut it when
>> >the clutch and/or flywheel comes apart. If it's a big clutch and
>> >flywheel, 1/4" plate would be the minimum.... (!)
>>
>> The standard Mini flywheel/clutch (its all one unit) is made of cast iron, is
>> about 10" diameter and weighs around 20lb. It's inside an alluminium housing,
>> and there is a fairly strong bulkhead between the driver and the engine.
>
>I missed the first message, so, didn't realize you were referring to a
>Mini--a bit different problem... one which is minimized a great deal
>with a diaphragm clutch. The problem, as you say, is with clutch fingers
>coming off--and then all other hell breaking loose. Here's another
>possibility, which is much lighter--make one from Kevlar cloth. Easy to
>mold around the clutch housing, and not too expensive if you can find a
>source to buy it by the yard, then fold it up and sew it into a bag. Add
>some eyelets through the bag and the Kevlar so you can tie it onto the
>clutch housing.
>
>Cheers.

Don't remember who, but somebody used to make blankets out of kevlar, etc,
not unlike a bullet resistant vest, which were designed to be strapped
around the entire flywheel---tranny assembly (or an automatic). haven't
seen or heard of them in a while, but mebbe they are still out
there??Anybody??

Greg