CPS for mini

Clarence L.Snyder clare.snyder.on.ca at ibm.net
Tue Feb 9 22:45:09 GMT 1999

Tom Parker wrote:

> Michael D. Porter <mdporter at rt66.com> wrote:
>
> >rpm. I would say that a thin bit of stainless probably won't cut it when
> >the clutch and/or flywheel comes apart. If it's a big clutch and
> >flywheel, 1/4" plate would be the minimum.... (!)
>
> The standard Mini flywheel/clutch (its all one unit) is made of cast iron, is
> about 10" diameter and weighs around 20lb. It's inside an alluminium housing,
> and there is a fairly strong bulkhead between the driver and the engine.
>
> I've seen the results of one that escaped during a race. It didn't explode,
> the crank sheared off where it came out of the engine block. There wasn't much
> left of that end of the engine. All the alloy housing was gone, but
> surpisingly the flywheel didn't get out of the engine bay.
>
> Aparently the flywheel itself is pritty strong but the pressure plate isn't.
> The pressure plate goes first and takes the rest of the clutch with it.
> Whatever goes first, it still makes a mess!
>
> Bending 1/4" plate around the housing will be interesting. I'll see what I can
> do when I have the engine out to replace the gearbox (doing that soonish).
>
> --
> Tom Parker - tparker at nznet.gen.nz
>            - http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/8381/
Is the flywheel still only held on by one bolt and a taper/key setup?
The flywheel came off my 61 mini 850 when the lock tabs on that single
bolt let go. The tranny held the flywheel in and I got home on the
starter! The book says you can't remove the clutch in the car, but by
cutting the head off the very botton clutch cover bolt it is possible.
Been there, done that - had a LOT of fun. 214,000 miles on the critter
when I sold it.