High grade connectors

Michael D. Porter mdporter at rt66.com
Wed Feb 10 06:47:50 GMT 1999

Todd Israels wrote:

> At 06:47 PM 2/8/99 -0800, you wrote:
> >
> >Can anyone point me to a mail-order (a Web store would be excellent)
> >source of good weatherproof electrical connectors?  I don't need think
> >I need Mil-Spec or aerospace grade, but something better than the stuff
> >you'd see at a typical hardware store.  The car I hack on has an engine
> >compartment that's pretty much open to the weather, so I need them to be
> >rugged.
> >

> >james montebello
> >

>         The Amphenol Mil-Spec work well and arent insanely expensive just pricey
> the other solution is to go to the local boneyard and liberate some from

Just for reference, we have had terrible experiences with AMP connectors
in heavy-duty, commercial use. They are universally despised by our
customers, but continue to be spec'd, all out of proportion to their
value, by our engineers because the costs are not high. Even with
additional locks, the connectors do not remain together in
high-vibration environments. They are not a recommended item in our
service department.

Cheers.