CPS for mini

Michael D. Porter mdporter at rt66.com
Wed Feb 10 06:59:25 GMT 1999

Don.F.Broadus at ucm.com wrote:

> The 777 air planes engines (pratt & Whitney) have a kevlar belt around the
> engine to contain a thrown turbine blade. FFA test
> require that a blade be weakened so that it will fail and the kevlar belt
> contain it to meet certification test. Most steel scatter shields
> are one piece construction.

I saw some of this on a PBS series devoted to the development of the
777... quite an amazing bit of film, especially the actual slow-motion
video of the fan jet blades coming apart, and being contained by the
Kevlar belt, which did happen. The Kevlar surround effectively contained
some very large pieces traveling at _very_ high rotational speeds.

One proviso (since I have used Kevlar material in other
applications)--the fibers are frayed easily from abrasion, and lose
strength because of that. If they are well-restrained, the material is
_very_ tough.

Cheers.