SV: Air Filter Pontiac Fiero/Firebird

Gustaf Ulander gustaf.ulander at bercoproduktion.se
Wed Feb 17 07:12:34 GMT 1999

Jason!

----------
> Från: Jason <srgnt03 at earthlink.net>
> >

> Uhh, I don't think that particular set-up is going to be plug-n-play.
> I'd assume the GM intake was designed w/ an airbox (I think that the
> pre-'90 TPI had a MAF sensor in the intake, and the '90+ TPI didn't, but
> what do I know...I'm a VW guy) and the K&N is a drop-in panel filter.

That's what I was afraid of...of course I should've brought the part# for
the filter...

> If you want a K&N cone filter, those can be had from Summit Racing, or
> just about any race shop or catalog. You could probably adapt a Japanese
> made (an off the shelf part) Aluminum intake to suit your needs.

Yep, but the thing is this specific filter is one of multiple choices as a
price for winning a contest...so it's for free, but the choice is limited.
Too bad.

 One
> thing to consider though...open element filters like the cone style are
> often subjected to hot air in the enging compartment. Since cold air is
> more dense than hot air, the oxygen content is greater in the same given
> volume of air...a better burn and more power output. That's the general
> theory most subscribe to. Cold air is better.
>
> So, most people fabricate a heat shield of some sort...or route a custom
> intake down below the car (and possibly get a ram-air benefit, but watch
> those puddles!).

The filter will sit in front of the radiator, outside the eng. compartment,
so that's taken care of...

Thanks for your input!

//Gustaf