4 cyl engine advice needed

AL8001 at aol.com AL8001 at aol.com
Fri Feb 19 00:20:04 GMT 1999

In a message dated 99-02-17 20:39:52 EST, jimyeagley at stratos.net writes:

> I would rather agree with Frederick about the Ford
>Turbo-4.  Not only many T-Birds, but Mustangs and SVO Mustangs, too.

Don't forget the Merkur XR4Ti.  It uses the Turbo 2300 Ford engine as well.
I'm pretty sure the 5 sp trans is a German type not used in other USA Ford
cars.

I've seen a 2.8 carbed Camaro/Citation V6 in a MGB, nice fit.  One of the
exhaust mainfolds was fliped so the pipe headed towards the front.

It's easy to get carried away with fabed frames/ turbos/ superchargers.  I
think the original posters intent was for a reliable, peppy engine.  My
suggestions:

Ford 2300 and 5 sp from a Mustang or Ranger pickup.
Ford 2300 Turbo T Bird, Mustang, Merkur XR4Ti

Chrysler/Mitsubishi 2.6 4 Cyl carbed Rear drive mini pickup.  These engines
have super torque.
Chrysler/Mitsubishi 2.6 Turbo EFI Conquest/Starion ( Not a great choice due to
high cost of electronic parts)

The Toyota Corolla 4 other people suggested.

Harold