4 cyl engine advice needed

DC Smith dcsmith at bytes.net
Sat Feb 20 01:41:39 GMT 1999

Clarence L.Snyder wrote:

> Has no timing belt - has six feet of chain and half a dozen tensioners -
> all of which stretch and / or break. Mine broke the counterbalance drive
> chain (actually, took the teeth off the crank sprocket - the chain came
> out in one piece but about 2" too long!!!), which also drives the oil
> pump. The idiot light did not work, so the crank spun a main bearing and
> the cam ate the bearings out of the head. All because of a design flaw
> in the oil flow at the rear countershaft bearings. The cam and dist run
> off the OTHER chain, so the engine didn't quit till it was DEAD.

 I saw this happen to a guy's car when I lived in Atlanta. The oil pump
stopped pumping, but the motor kept running and self destructed. THEN,
this guy, with no real mechanical experience decides he is going to fix
it himself. Bad decision. Parts were big bucks, and his little things
like rubber expansion plugs to replace block core plugs, didn't help
much either. After he spent more to fix this motor than a different car
would have cost him, it still ran like $hit. It never was "right" after
that.
 On the other hand, my sister had a mini van with one of these motors
and loved the thing. It went 180K miles, and now resides in the back 40
on a farm in Iowa, after it crapped on the highway one day. As far as
fixing it... don't think so. :^)

Dan Smith      84 Regal   12.13 at 112     GSCA# 1459
St.Charles, Missouri
mailto:dcsmith at bytes.net
mailto:dcsmith at gnttype.org
mailto:morepoweral at bytes.net