4 cyl engine advice needed

Tedscj at aol.com Tedscj at aol.com
Sat Feb 20 19:40:41 GMT 1999

In a message dated 2/20/99 1:38:01 PM Eastern Standard Time, jguest at clara.net
writes:

> Thus the need for a low static CR in turbo/super charged engines?

Yes

>  SO going back to your original point about Vizards book. If my friend who
>  has an MGB GT applied some of the principles described they should work?

Yes, I believe so.  The A and B series engines are very similar if not
identical (except for absolute size and displacement.)  The book gets very
specific as to even which specific makers/models of manifolds work best.  And
I would assume that a company that makes a manifold for the A series would
make a corresponding model for the B series.  Plus pistons, cams, etc.
  He even has a blue print on how to port the head and shape the combustion
chambers just right.  And I see no reason why this wouldn't work when applied
to the B series.  Just scale it up (which is what they did when producing the
entire engine.)

Anyway, the book is "Tuning BL's A series Engine" by David Vizard, it's over
400 pgs.  If you were going to modify an A or B series engine, I would
definitely get it.

Also after perusing the book for the first time in a long time, I see that
10.5 to 11 CR is more apropriate for a street car.  SCCA racers use about 14
to 1, though.

Ted