Bosh Spark Plugs (Barely on topic I guess)

EFISYSTEMS at aol.com EFISYSTEMS at aol.com
Sat Feb 20 19:51:02 GMT 1999

In a message dated 2/20/99 11:00:18 AM Pacific Standard Time,
nacelp at bright.net writes:

<< being more
 engine/ignition specific, then I would have thought.
    Do the extra electrodes mask reading the porselean?.
 Bruce

Hi Bruce,
        The NGK BR9EQ-14 is the easiest plug to "read" I have ever come
across,,,,you can see if you have too much timing or not enough, The AFR at
its richest point (during the sweep) and of course aluminum slams into the
porcelain very nicely(lol)...I am not recommending these (multi-prong)plugs
however for anything but a hemi type chamber as indexing a (single prong)plug
in a wedge type chamber is still a better thing to do.  I have not found any
one plug to be better than another(heat ranges being equal),,,,,but I have had
quite a few Autolite plugs have the porcelain break off and enter the
engine,,,,This was in a severe environment with restrictions on
octane,specific gravities and lead. This class of racing had a spec fuel that
was electronically checked along with the tradional methods....and I had
16.4:1 compression...I changed to an AC end no more broken porcelain,,,later
found the NGK plug and used that from then on in this class,,,,,As I'm sure
you can understand at that compression ratio with only 96-97 motor octane(100
octane unleaded r+m/2) any fluctuations of AFR would cause an engine failure.
hth's
-Carl Summers