Boost/Injectors...was "MAF..."

d houlton x0710 tc75918 at hpra5.msc.az.boeing.com
Fri Feb 26 16:47:37 GMT 1999

Mark Kiecker wrote:

> Sorry, just getting in on the conversation....
>
> Why not just decrease your compression ratio by either shaving the tops
> of your pistons or increasing your head gasket?  This why you'll be able
> to keep the higher boost and depending on how much you decrease your
> compression ratio, possibly increase the amount of boost.

Compression is already a pretty low 8.6:1 which seems to be fine for the
low boost I'm running.  I don't want to ruin the drivability or off-boost
performance of this thing.  I'm not looking for screaming WOT performance.
Just some more top end grunt so I can pass and maintain speed on the
highway going up the over passes (seriously, I couldn't even do that
before), especially when towing or heavily loaded for trips/camping, etc.
Passing at 60 mph used to be a joke and required preperation akin to that
needed to land an airliner.

Also, tearing the engine down to do these things is much more involved
than I want to do right now.  If a re-build were required (hope not), I'd
port the heads a bit, choose forged pistons (if available) and have them
and the combustion chambers ceramic coated.  Also maybe o-ring the block
or just use a good quality solid copper head gasket and install head studs
(if available) instead of head bolts.  I'd try to keep compression ratio
about the same.  But all these would be just if I *needed* to rebuild for
it to be worth it to me.

--Dan