EFI for Propane

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Sat Feb 27 06:11:51 GMT 1999

I have given it considerable thought, and have even done some
calculations.  Go with experience rather then theory, thoug :-)

There is a site in Oz that describes such a system.  There is a pump
inside the tank that pressurizes the LPG to about 300 PSI.  This keeps it
from boiling prematurely.  It is injected as a liquid.  I believe that it
is injected right outside the intake valve.  There is a secondary ECM
that translates the stock ECM's injection signal to something suitable
for propane.  They claim a 10% improvement in both torque and power over
gasoline, and they have the dyno data to back it up.

My plan is to mount injecters on my Holley Pro-Jection throttle body, or
through the spacer plate under it.  I'll just set up a seperate fuel and
spark advance table for propane.  That'll be proof of concept.
Eventually, I will build an engine to take advantage of the high octane
of propane.

I never got around to sending mail to the people who are building these
systems.  I need to find out where to get the injecters and the in-tank
pump.  I'll probablly control the pressure with a chopper circuit feedint
the pump motor.

I still need some numbers for my calculations, such as the specific heat
capacity for air and for gaseous propane.

Ray