Chemical warfare

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Fri Jan 1 00:11:15 GMT 1999

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998 00:47:45 +0000 xxalexx at ix.netcom.com writes:

>Would hydrogen peroxide work?  I thought this was used as rocket
>fuel, and also to clean cuts and teeth.  Should have a large
>pecentage of H2 and O2 available.  Is cheap and can be found in
>all drug stores.
>alex

The H2O2 that you buy in a drugstore is rather watered down.  I believe
that it is around 2%, but it could be less.

It also deteriorates fairly rapidly.  In the presence of a catylist
(silver will work, I think), it breaks down really rapidly to H2O and O2.
 The jet backpacks that you see in the James Bond movies really exist.
The center tank contains gas under pressure that is used to push the H2O2
out of the outer tanks, through a catylist screen, and into the exhaust
nozzles.  The exhaust is steam and oxygen.  I believe that the entire
charge lasts about fifteen seconds.

You could probablly mix appropriate amounts of H2O2 and alcohol together
and come up with a monopropellant.  I don't know enough chemestry to be
able to speculate on how well it would work.

Ray Drouillard