Water Injection Thread

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Sat Jan 2 23:25:37 GMT 1999

>Have you ever considered going with an AWD setup?  Perhaps the Audi setup
>would work.  They split the torque between the front and rear wheels
>using a Zexel Torsen type differential.  That way, all four wheels will
>grab, but the front will not tend to spin out and rob power from the rear
>when the front end starts to get light.

Nope, can't say that I have. I spent a lot of time trying to "fangle" or
fabricate such a system, and unless I mounted the engine behind the rear
axle, aka VW Bug, I didn't see a way of doing it with OEM/Junkyard parts.

I did however come up with two solutions - one require extensive
fabrication, one not.

The first would be to go rear-engine, and use a 180 degree rotated subaru
manual tranny (AWD), and go from there.

The second would be to tap the ring gear in a FWD Eldorado transmission
(early 80's), also mounted upside down.  Neither appealed to me out of
effort, weight, and putting the engine behind the rear axle. a 50/50 weight
distribution really excites me :)

>What does Lambroghini use for its Diablo?  Could one of those transfer
>cases be obtained for less than a mint?  Does Porsche have any AWD
>models?

Not sure about the Lambo, but I believe Porsche does have a AWD vehicle,
but if I do remember correctly, its rear-mounted engine wise.

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Homebrew Automotive Website:
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HMMWV
1973 Lincoln Continental (460cid)
1975 Dodge D200 3/4 ton Club Cab
2000 Buick-Powered Mid-Engined Sports Car

-