Water Injection Thread

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Sat Jan 2 23:25:37 GMT 1999

>Go for the stage II. You want to be able to accelerate from 100 to 150 like a
>CanAm car.  Most transmissions are limited by torque in low gear (&
second) on

Naaaah, I won't be pounding on it that much, since the vehicle weight is
not enough to support the power level, unless there is enough downforce.  I
won't be at that point on the street hopefully, if I am, something is
seriously wrong (or my radar detector is working <G>).  Seriously, I am
gravely concerned about the power/weight ratio, and might add extra weight
in the form of making the sprung weight (i.e. roll cage) much stronger,
thicker, better triangulated.

>racer) will hook up), it will last for ever. if you are worried, just use a
>marginal clutch and replace it every year or so. (Or just keep your foot
out of
>it in low).

I don't mind replacing clutches, if that saves the transmission.

>about the Porsche more than the Audi as the Porsche is designed for high
RPM HP
>and the Audi more for street torque. What is the Torque output of the

Not sure what the specs of either are as rated from the Factory.  Kennedy
Engineering, who makes various adaptors for the Porsche & VW Bug transaxles
to other engines (chevy 350 for example) rate the Porsche unit (G50-50) to
700 HP.  I for one think that's in 5th gear, at 200 MPH.  I can't see 1st
gear taking that.  Like you said, the Porsche's make their power at the
mid/top ends, not at 1500 RPM for the most part.

The Audi 016 transaxle which is the one I have (or is it 013, I forget), is
rated to 400 HP, but again, its at the higher RPMs.  A friend of mine has a
5 cyl turbo motor that was dyno'd at 450 HP (at the flywheel), and has
shredded 1st gear when popping the clutch at higher RPMs.  Of course, this
car is not designed for what he's using it for (german made 4-door sleeper)

>Porsche?)  Look at the diameter of the output shafts (pinion shafts) and
>bearings, pick the larger.

Good advice, thank you :)

>One more thing about Turbo motors.  If your motor sounds funny and you
pull the
>pan off an there are a dozen pieces of piston skirt laying in the bottom
of the
>pan, it's detonation. Been there, done that, won that T-shirt.

Yes, been there done that.  However I didn't get a T-Shirt Tom, who gave
you yours? <grin>

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Homebrew Automotive Website:
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HMMWV
1973 Lincoln Continental (460cid)
1975 Dodge D200 3/4 ton Club Cab
2000 Buick-Powered Mid-Engined Sports Car

-