92 Corvette LT-1

Steve Ravet steve.ravet at arm.com
Sat Jan 2 23:55:51 GMT 1999

Pete Fenske can tell you about the VATS.  I faced a similar wiring
problem when I put a V8 in my S-10 Blazer (replaced the 2.8 which is
probably exactly what you did also).  Anyway, if you have the ECM and
engine harness then you are 90% there.  The only things that pass
through the bulkhead connector are sensors that drive dash gauges, A/C
controls, wiper controls, fused and unfused power and ground, fuel pump
power, and some other things like that.  If you look at the pinout of
the bulkhead connectors for both the engine and the car, you'll see that
they are mostly the same wires.  You just need to connect them
appropriately.  Here's what I did:

I wanted to keep the old engine intact as much as possible, so I went to
a junkyard and bought a bulkhead connector that matched the one in my
truck.  If you go buy one get one that is close to your model including
year and options.  That way you'll get all the right wires in all the
right colors.  Cut the wires as long as possible.  Or you can cut up
your bulkhead connector if you don't care about it.

Cut off the LT1 bulkhead connector, you won't be using it.  Cut it also
so that the wires are as long as possible.  Wire by wire, connect
matching wires from the LT1 bulkhead to the Camaro bulkhead.  Having the
schematics for both helps trememdously.  At first, twist and tape them,
using bright green or red tape.  Then start the car to see if it runs
OK.  If it seems OK, use good crimp on connectors to permanently connect
the wires, and solder them after crimping.  The bright tape helps
locating the connections.

Put the wires back into the black plastic loom that they were in, and
cut the wires to a sensible length so they run in a nice bundle.  I know
this isn't very specific, but every swap like this is unique.  write me
back if you have more questions.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet