Voltage regulator

John Andrianakis John.Andrian at usa.net
Sun Jan 3 00:40:38 GMT 1999

Clarence L.Snyder wrote:

> David A. Cooley wrote:
> >
> > At 04:55 AM 1/2/99 -0600, you wrote:
> > >How about using a big pump and cutting the voltage when all that
> > >capacity is not required? Will the pump last longer, etc.???
> > >

> > That would be almost as bad as overvoltage...  Under voltage can kill them
> > as well.
> >            David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
> >      Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA   T.A.P.R. Member #7068
> >        I am Pentium of Borg...division is futile...you will be approximated.
> Actually, no. An AC motor is definitely sensitive to low voltage, for
> various reasons. A DC motor does NOT suffer this way. A 24 volt motor
> will run on 12 volts virtually forever, as long as the load placed on it
> does not cause it to overload and overheat, or most dangerous, stall.
> Using PWM control is better yet, as it does NOT reduce the peak
> voltage/torque at all - it just modulates it. PWM control on a DC type
> motor reduces speed without APPRECIABLY reducing torque.This "chopper"
> type control, with feedback, could be used to control fuel pressure as
> accurately as the current vacuum modulated spring type regulators - if
> you can also control "bypass" to avoid vapour problems.

The Carrol supecharging company has a unit capable of this.Its called a
Superpumper.They say " Electronicaly regulates fuel pump pressure in
response to manifold pressure. Replaces FMU on supercharged Mustangs,
Camaros and other vehicles for more power. Adjust your fuel curve from
inside the cockpit. Can actually increse the fuel pump's output by 20%
more."
Sounds interesting for forced induction applications but has the same
rerstrictions as FMU(rising rate fuel pressure regulators-usually 6:1
ratio of fuel press. increse over manifold press. increase when manifold
press. positive.). Boost limit is around 10 psi. At least I wouldnt like
driving injectors at over 90psi for any length of time.
For anyone interested their phone is +12018351660.