Water Injection Thread

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Sun Jan 3 00:42:13 GMT 1999

On Sat, 02 Jan 1999 18:25:33 -0500 Frederic Breitwieser
<frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com> writes:
>>Have you ever considered going with an AWD setup?  Perhaps the Audi
setup
>>would work.  They split the torque between the front and rear wheels
>>using a Zexel Torsen type differential.  That way, all four wheels will
>>grab, but the front will not tend to spin out and rob power from the
rear
>>when the front end starts to get light.
>
>Nope, can't say that I have. I spent a lot of time trying to "fangle" or
>fabricate such a system, and unless I mounted the engine behind the rear
>axle, aka VW Bug, I didn't see a way of doing it with OEM/Junkyard
parts.

>I did however come up with two solutions - one require extensive
>fabrication, one not.
>
>The first would be to go rear-engine, and use a 180 degree rotated
subaru
>manual tranny (AWD), and go from there.
>
>The second would be to tap the ring gear in a FWD Eldorado transmission
>(early 80's), also mounted upside down.  Neither appealed to me out of
>effort, weight, and putting the engine behind the rear axle. a 50/50
weight
>distribution really excites me :)
>
>>What does Lambroghini use for its Diablo?  Could one of those transfer
>>cases be obtained for less than a mint?  Does Porsche have any AWD
>>models?
>
>Not sure about the Lambo, but I believe Porsche does have a AWD vehicle,
>but if I do remember correctly, its rear-mounted engine wise.
>

>Frederic Breitwieser
>Bridgeport, CT 06606
>
>Homebrew Automotive Website:
>http://www.xephic.dynip.com/
>
>1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
>1989 HMMWV
>1973 Lincoln Continental (460cid)
>1975 Dodge D200 3/4 ton Club Cab
>2000 Buick-Powered Mid-Engined Sports Car

Without knowing the details of your vehicle, I can't be sure what would
fit.  I was thinking along the lines of a standard front
engine/tranny/t-case assembly mounted in the middle of the vehicle
backwards.  This would leave you with the task of dealing with an offset
rear driveshaft, but that won't cause much trouble if you going with
four-wheel independant suspension.

Ray Drouillard