EFI on a Dodge 318

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sun Jan 3 23:30:16 GMT 1999

>	Did Dodge not use EFI on late 80's pickups and cant that be put on an
>older engige or swap entire engine?  I dont know Dodge maybe you do have to
>reinvent the wheel.  If you have room to the front of the engine you can
>swap in a Viper engine?(yes I know VERY $$ and hard to find at least in
>Ontario Canada)

I think he's already up to using a 383 ("B" big block). These and the "RB"s
(raised deck) went away I think in '76 or so, before EFI. A 383 (or better
yet a 413/426/440 RB) is so far superior to a 318/340/360 as to be almost
funny.  Have not heard a lot of noise one way or the other yet, but I have
not heard of many V-10's in things like boats yet. Nor have I seen any
Moparts aftermarket advertising for  V-10's. The fact that the same folks
are resurrecting the elephant (426 Hemi) prolly speaks pretty powerfully to
which block is the better one!! I would almost bet that you could acquire a
new Hemi for the same money as a low mileage Viper motor!! May well be
close to the same story for a low mileage V-10 truck motor!!

And I know EXACTLY how I would choose to spend the loot if it were me doing
it!!!

If nothing else is at hand, I am sure that Blower Drive Service could
whistle up an intake set up for (port) injectors for a B (or an RB) engine.
But watch it, the manifold for an RB is wider on account of the higher
decks. Yes, manifold spacers are commonly available.  But I have never seen
any "unspacers"!! Maybe someone who specializes in rescuing and
deprogramming "Moonies" could help with this, though! :-)

Regards, Greg