SV: oops... (was Re: Nology)

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Mon Jan 4 00:26:07 GMT 1999

>Roland Johansson <scirocco at mail.bip.net> wrote:
>
>>First it didn't show up in my mind but when thinking of this
>>idea a drawback appeared to me. All the welding helmets I been
>>looking thruu (two) are having a big green filter, looks like
>>that might be a problem. But why not have a LCD showing the
>>plate number and turning it off when a flash appear?
>>Hm, have to go to my fathers house and make a close examination
>>of his helmet in the evening
>
>That's a good idea! However, in this part of the world, I would expect to get
>nicked for it. The police won't be very impressed with a number plate that
>obviously isn't reflective and is probably designed to avoid them...

Nope, I like the idea of shining a light, filtered through a filter same
color as one of the major plate colors, and mottled, at the plate, and
triggering the light on, plus a delay on, either with a radar detector or a
the flash, or maybe the flash detection as a back-up to the radar detector
(belt and suspenders again)!
Might not need the mottling of the light if, for instance with a white on
green plate, the filtered light could make the white numbers look just as
green as the green field of the plate to the black and white film in the
camera! But it seems as though if you mottled the light in the two colors
of the plate, it would get virtually impossible to read the numbers off the
film! Maybe  a light filtered with a rotating filter giving alternation
between the two colors. or two alternating strobes, one filtered to match
each of the major colors of the plate could wash out the film the best.

Regards, Greg