Drive by wire and the wish to survive the experience.

David-HMSE Higham dhigh at hitachi-eu.com
Mon Jan 4 10:17:44 GMT 1999

     Some general points/ideas.

     Sensor diagnostics -
     Generally sensor failures are detected either hi and lo range, when
     out of range a fail count is started. When this count equals a defined
     limit then a sensor hard fault is set, and a default value is
     substituted. If the sensor value goes back into range then a recovery
     count is started, when this equals a limit then the sensor has
     recovered, the hard fault is cleared and sensor value is used again.
     Other features are usually incorporated such as limiting the number of
     hard faults per mission and storing faults to E2PROM etc.

     DBW safety -
     The 5v to wiper seems like a good idea, I will give that a try!

     On a DBW (Drive By Wire), the ECU would have calc'd the demanded
     throttle position. If the TPS is deemed failed, then I assume the ECU
     would enter some limp home mode (reduced power etc), and as stated
     below, would uses MAF and RPM to estimate TPS for continued safety
     checking.

     Just to confirm DBW uses a Driver demand signal from the pedal, uses
     this to calc throttle position set via a stepper motor, with TPS used
     as feedback. (No throttle cable present.)??????

     Sensor Sampling -
     Somebody inquired general sensor sampling rates. The sensors can be
     slip into fast and slow sampling (posibly medium also.) Coolant temp
     for example would be a slow sample >100ms where as MAF and MAP would
     be much faster <10ms (could be speed dependant). It generally depands
     on the control loop within which these sensors are used.

     Any comments?

     Cheers,

     Dave