EFI on a Dodge 318

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Wed Jan 6 02:43:36 GMT 1999

>I think he's already up to using a 383 ("B" big block). These and the "RB"s
>(raised deck) went away I think in '76 or so, before EFI. A 383 (or better
>yet a 413/426/440 RB) is so far superior to a 318/340/360 as to be almost
>funny.  Have not heard a lot of noise one way or the other yet, but I have

Yes, I happen to be in your camp on this - no replacement for displacement,
and I'm working out the measurements on using a 440 RB crank inside a 383 B
block.  Obviously, the block/mains -or- the crank will have to be machined
down to fit, since the diameter of the 440 crank is so much thicker on the
journals.  I've received private suggestions both ways, and I dropped the
440 crank at the machine shop this morning to get their educated guess on
the issue.

Everyone say.... "stroker".

>not heard of many V-10's in things like boats yet. Nor have I seen any
>Moparts aftermarket advertising for  V-10's. The fact that the same folks

The V10 is a good engine, I've driven both flavors - truck and viper - its
a great, responsive powerplant that's not as noisy as I expected.  Modern
technology.  But the damn things are so expensive.  Crate version from
Mopar is in the 5k+ range if my memory serves me correct.  Don't quote me.

>are resurrecting the elephant (426 Hemi) prolly speaks pretty powerfully to
>which block is the better one!! I would almost bet that you could acquire a
>new Hemi for the same money as a low mileage Viper motor!! May well be
>close to the same story for a low mileage V-10 truck motor!!

Mopar recently re-introduced a redesigned hemi engine, with little
crossover from the original molds.  My understanding was the tooling for
the original hemi series was dumped (as was the poli series) after the
manufacturing was done, and Mopar engineers recently (last few years)
reverse engineered their own product, and re-invented the wheel,
supposively better.

>And I know EXACTLY how I would choose to spend the loot if it were me doing
>it!!!

383 with a turbo and some EFI crap :)

>decks. Yes, manifold spacers are commonly available.  But I have never seen
>any "unspacers"!! Maybe someone who specializes in rescuing and

Um, milling machine :)

I'm going to fabricate the manifold anyway, if I can find the blueprints
for the OEM manifold/block/heads, much the way the "Buick Power Source"
does for the Buick V6 engines (231/252 RWD series).  With this information,
I can draw it into AutoCad and have three plates made - left head, right
head, and valley cover, bolt them down, weld them together (braze
actually), and fabricate intake runners to a large box.

Worked for the Buick V6, should work with the Mopar 383.  This is one of
the things I do like about EFI (other than the obvious ones) - with a dry
manifold your manifold design can be off or lazy, and the thing will still
work quite well.  When we did the radical Buick V6, we completely
fabricated the manifold without any mathematics at all.  The only thing we
did calculate was a 1.5 ratio of intake plenum versus the displacement of
the engine.  yes, I'm somewhat of a corky bell fan :)

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Homebrew Automotive Website:
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HMMWV
1973 Lincoln Continental (460cid)
1975 Dodge D200 3/4 ton Club Cab
2000 Buick-Powered Mid-Engined Sports Car

-