EFI on a Dodge 318

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Wed Jan 6 02:43:41 GMT 1999

>The problem with Chrysler EFI is the computers are potted and sealed... No
>chip to replace... Makes it kind of hot-rodder or custom unfriendly.

Very true.  And the stuff in the 80's I've never seen an aftermarket module
that intercepts signals and modifys them the same way they have to mid 90's
RAM trucks.  THough the older stuff is neat - a computer in an air cleaner
is a neat idea :)

>Not sure if the 383 was ever injected though... (or what, if any, EFI parts
>would swap from a 360 or 318)

Not that I can tell, and we all know the big block disappeared.  Its 318 or
360, and that's it.  If you get a non-magnum engine, the 318 and 360
intakes of the same eras are pretty much compatible, but the magnum parts
are drilled or milled slightly differently, just enough not to fit.

I'm very close to deciding that the final solution will be this:

	Mopar 383 engine, .030 over
	Custom dry intake with integral oil cooler welded into the intake log (for
water cooling)
	One large undetermined turbo
	GM Camaro/Firebird/Corvette ECM from the early 90's
	rest of the GM sensors, wires, and assorted accessories.

I intend to build to 400 HP and 450 ft/lbs of torque if I can get it
reliably.  I tend to blow motors apart with all the experiments these days :)

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Homebrew Automotive Website:
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HMMWV
1973 Lincoln Continental (460cid)
1975 Dodge D200 3/4 ton Club Cab
2000 Buick-Powered Mid-Engined Sports Car

-