Water Injection Thread

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Wed Jan 6 03:20:30 GMT 1999

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999 20:45:05 -0700 bearbvd at sni.net (Greg Hermann) writes:

>>Yes, it helps the designer achieve 50/50 weight distribution, but there
>>are other ways of doing it.  The Corvette engineers did it by putting
the
>>engine in the front and the transmission in the back.
>>
>Hey--all the Corvette guys did was copy. Alfa's "Alfetta" FI cars of the
>late '40's did that before there even WAS a Corvette--Not to mention the
>early Pontiac Tempests, with their "rubber band" driveshafts!!

OK, Greg... I bow to your superior knowledge of vintage cars :)  The
oldest thing I ever drove (besides some military vehicles) was my Dad's
'67 Ambassador Wagon.

I remember seeing something interesting at my favorite mechanic's shop.
It was an automatic transmission and differential in one unit bolted
between the rear wheels (independent rear suspension).  I believe that
the torque converter was attached to the engine.  It was an American car
from the '50s or '60s ('60s, I think).  Do you have any idea what it is?

I also remember seeing an old Lincoln that had a double-cardon on both
ends of the driveshaft.  I had heard that having a double-cardon at both
ends will allow the driveshaft to drop out of alignment, but the joints
on the Lincoln were retained by some pieces of spring steel.

Ray