Water Injection Thread

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Wed Jan 6 06:06:09 GMT 1999

>On Mon, 4 Jan 1999 20:45:05 -0700 bearbvd at sni.net (Greg Hermann) writes:
>>

>>>Yes, it helps the designer achieve 50/50 weight distribution, but there
>>>are other ways of doing it.  The Corvette engineers did it by putting
>the
>>>engine in the front and the transmission in the back.
>>>
>>Hey--all the Corvette guys did was copy. Alfa's "Alfetta" FI cars of the
>>late '40's did that before there even WAS a Corvette--Not to mention the
>>early Pontiac Tempests, with their "rubber band" driveshafts!!
>
>OK, Greg... I bow to your superior knowledge of vintage cars :)  The
>oldest thing I ever drove (besides some military vehicles) was my Dad's
>'67 Ambassador Wagon.

Hey, Ray--

My dad couldda whupped your dad :-)--he had a VERY late '64 GTO
tri-power/four speed/posi/two door SEDAN (post)--late summer '64, and late
enough that it got, from the factory, the '65, higher rise heads and
manifold, 360 HP 389 anna Muncie instedda a B/W T-10!! Boy, am I sorry that
one ever got away!! That was one QUICK mutha--the 64's were about 350
pounds lighter than the '65's, and the '65 tri-power engine was a WHOLE lot
more than 12 HP stronger than the '64's, which was what the factory
claimed!!

>I remember seeing something interesting at my favorite mechanic's shop.
>It was an automatic transmission and differential in one unit bolted
>between the rear wheels (independent rear suspension).  I believe that
>the torque converter was attached to the engine.  It was an American car
>from the '50s or '60s ('60s, I think).  Do you have any idea what it is?

'61--'62--maybe '63  Tempest automatic transaxle.

>I also remember seeing an old Lincoln that had a double-cardon on both
>ends of the driveshaft.  I had heard that having a double-cardon at both
>ends will allow the driveshaft to drop out of alignment, but the joints
>on the Lincoln were retained by some pieces of spring steel.

Caddy used to use CV drive-shaft joints like that too--quieter and
smoother, cuzza no accel/decel of the driveshaft as it rotates. There is a
little sphere and socket in the center that keeps 'em aligned. Mid '70's
Chevy full-time 4x4 trucks used a similar joint at the transfer case end of
their front drive shaft, too.

Regards, Greg