TempesTorque - Was Re: Water Injection Thread

Clarence L.Snyder clare.snyder.on.ca at ibm.net
Thu Jan 7 04:45:47 GMT 1999

Gwyn Reedy wrote:

> Lots and lots of conflicting messages about these cars being posted.
>
> AAron - maybe I kinda remember the 326 Pontiac engine being put into the 63
> tempest, but not the big V8. When the 389 was put in the 64 Tempest
> (contrary to GM front office policy on engine size in the 'compact' cars)
> the GTO was born and that was one of the first muscle cars.
>
> Gwyn

One of my sources says only the 4 cyl was available in the TEMPEST up to
'63. If it had an 8 it was a LeMans. An 8 cyl LeMans was a 326. Period.
The other reliable source seems to indicate a very few 215 V6 engines
MAY have found their way into tempests in '61 and '62. No numbers to
support this, however, but specs show a different final drive ratio for
a V8 '61-'62 tempest - with transaxle.
In '64 the Indy 4 was dropped in favour of the 215 cdi inline 6
(basically a chevy but 3.75 X 3.25" BXS) The 389 GTO version of the
tempest came in 64.
The 230 (3.87X3.35) OHC was a 1965 addition. The 4 BBL Sprint version
came available in '67. In '68 the 3.8 (230 CID) was enlarged to 4.2
(250CID)(3.88X3.53)
Buick and Olds ALL used conventional driveline.

This information was researched from sources published by Canadian
Automotive Trade magazine and the Standard Catalog of American Cars, 3rd
edition, published by Krause Publications.

This re-enforces the memories I have of working on these cars in the
late sixties and early seventies when I maintained a few of them.

Hope this can put some closure on this subject :}