Water Injection Thread [now U joints]

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Thu Jan 7 18:31:11 GMT 1999

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Tom Sharpe wrote:

> > >Caddy used to use CV drive-shaft joints like that too--quieter and
> > >smoother, cuzza no accel/decel of the driveshaft as it rotates. There is
> > >little sphere and socket in the center that keeps 'em aligned. Mid '70's
> > >Chevy full-time 4x4 trucks used a similar joint at the transfer case end
> > of
> > >their front drive shaft, too.
> >
> > Do you have any idea where I can get such a critter?
>
> All early Broncos had them... Tom

CV joints made up from 2 standard cardan joints all have centering
devices. there are two common brands- saginaw and spicer. For some reason,
GM used a lot of spicers whereas others used the Saginaw. Go figure.
Anyway, every domestic 4X4 that had the transfer case bolted to the
transmission [and some that didnt] used a CV joint of this type on the
front shaft at the T case end it seems to me. The saginaw type has a
simpler but better [IMO] centering ball setup as compared to the spicer
because it is less likely to die an unrepairable death. OTOH, the saginaw
uses the frankenstein type plastic retaining setup for the cardan joints
which is a problem if you dont have a torch...

Many 70s GM cars also used the saginaw CV. Cheaper cars had one at the
rear axle, while more expensive cars had two, one at either end of the
driveshaft.

If I had to choose, I would stay with the saginaw over the spicer because
of the centering ball rebuildability thing.

Of course, a Tripod or a Rzeppa will handle more angularity than either of
the above... you could also dig up and use an old Mopar ball&trunnion
joint, which will also handle more angularity than the saginaw or spicer,
plus it is a plunge joint, so it handles the slipyoke problem, too.