Water Injection Thread [now U joints]

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Fri Jan 8 00:50:02 GMT 1999

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Greg Hermann wrote:

> ... you could also dig up and use an old Mopar ball&trunnion
> >joint, which will also handle more angularity than the saginaw or spicer,
> >plus it is a plunge joint, so it handles the slipyoke problem, too.
>
> Is this the proper name for the things I have inside the (closed type)
> steering knuckles of one of my Dana 70F steerable drive axles, which I have
> always heard called (usually affectionately) "Chinese Puzzle Joints"??? Or
> are they something else again??

Most closed [ball] type 4X4 front axle steering joints were Rzeppas but
dana/Spicer did make an elcheapo replacement that looked somewhat like a
rubics cube. dont know what brands/years used it, but I will bet that jeep
would be a likely candidate. But I dont think they ever used anything
bigger than a 44. IIRC, the first 4X4 to use anything bigger than a 44 was
mopar with some HD 3/4 ton front axles.