1 Bar, 2 Bar, and 3 Bar MAPS

Mike Pitts mpitts at netspeak.com
Fri Jan 8 15:27:17 GMT 1999

<<Has anyone used / tried a 2 or 3 bar MAP sensor?   I have a '95 Chevy 1/2
ton truck with a small blower making 9 lbs of boost, and I'm thinking of
trying a 2 BAR map sensor from Accel.   I assume all I'll have to do is
adjust my fuel settings.   I'm also assuming the stock computer won't throw
a fit with it.>>

You can't just change the MAP sensor, it will throw
*everything* off. Almost every table in the PCM is
indexed directly or indirectly from MAP.  Including
some of the transmission tables (if you have an automatic).
Try it, and you'll immediately see what I mean.  :)

IMO, the correct way to switch to a 2 or 3 bar MAP is
to write a code patch that scales the new MAP's readings
back into the 1 bar range for all of the existing tables
and code.  But store the actual boost reading in RAM
for your own use, if you want to increase injector DC
or reduce timing.  This is what I did for my 93 CPI engine.

It ain't easy though.  I spent every evening and every
weekend for at least 3 months straight reverse engineering
my PCM code before I had enough insight to make the code
patch.  I would guess somewhere in the range of 300-500
hours so far.

Unless you are prepared to write code patches for your
PCM, you're better off just sticking with the 1 bar MAP
and using the whatever you currently have to add the
additional fuel for boost.

-Mike