Uh-Oh, PICs

steve ravet Steve.Ravet at arm.com
Fri Jan 8 17:29:40 GMT 1999

> Sorry 'bout that, it was probably me that started refering to it as a
> 'PIC'. If I may ask, what does PIC stand for? (Peripheral Interface
> Controller?). And what is the difference between them and a u-controller?
> (You can get technical, I can take it!)

In PCs, PIC stands for programmable interrupt controller.  In this
mailing list, PIC means a line of microcontrollers designed by Microchip
(www.microchip.com). Some have A/D built in, some have PWM built in,
etc.  All are cheap and pretty easy to use.

> Wow, Steve likes to go all out. This would be an ideal setup! If anyone
> does this, put me down for one of these.

I would also buy one of these.  Georg's design is nice as it has an LCD,
plus is opto-isolated from the injector signal.  I'd personally prefer a
PIC based design, but as long as someone else is doing the
programming....  :-)

--steve