TCC lockup - which scheme would give better performance?

ECMnut at aol.com ECMnut at aol.com
Sat Jan 9 16:12:00 GMT 1999

 I too have a few toasted convertors from "the switch"...
Lots of GM drag lizards (myself included) rely on the
lockup switch for slight ET improvements.  If you rig a
switch to ground the ALDL TCC line, the convertor locks
in any gear, but 1st.  It feels like an extra shift occurrs
just after the trans goes into second.. Wierd feeling..
There is also an override that unlocks
the convetor if the brake is applied.  This mod should
not be done with engines of serious power levels and
stock style convertors.  These numbers are vague, but
GNs in the low 12's or so, and Syphoons in approx high
12's tend to smoke the clutches.  Convertors sometimes last
a season, sometimes less.  There are some HD aftermarket
lock-up convertors with multi-disc packs, that are turning 10's,
but they are so tough that they are breaking input shafts on
when lockup occurs after the 1-2 shift.  After you get down
into the 9's the trans of choice appears to be the old reliable
TH-400 3 spd with a non-lockup convertor.
Opinions are very mixed on the use of lock-ups for racing, and the
above approximations my be off in someones opinion too.
I can honestly say, that when the clutch is working properly,
using the lock-up switch results in only 10-15 hundreths of a
second in my mid 12 sec truck.  Kind of an expensive trade-off.
Cheers,
Mike V