Water Injection Thread & CorvEight

CEIJR at aol.com CEIJR at aol.com
Sat Jan 9 15:53:17 GMT 1999

I also had a Valkyrie, with stout 327. Learned a lot about brake balance,
spring rates, etc., sometimes very suddenly. The Fiberfab supplied kit to mate
the 327 to the front of the '66 and later Corvair transaxle was either
manufactured by Ted Trevor's Crown Engineering, or copied from it directly.
The cover plate and front input shaft certainly looked the same. The '65
transaxle wasn't nearly as strong. Crown also provided a kit to put two more
spider gears in the differential carrier. I ran autocrosses with stock
carrier, and only blew one set of the two-spider setup - on a downshift, not
on acceleration.
Mid-engine Corvair conversions were generally better than rear, but the BOP
215 aluminum v-8, with reverse rotation, made a pretty good rear-engine
installation. Strangest Corvair conversion? A front-engine installation of a
12 cylinder Jaguar.
													Charlie Iliff