TCC lockup - which scheme would give better performance?

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Sat Jan 9 19:01:36 GMT 1999

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Mike wrote:

> Regarding the TCC, the only thing I'd be careful of is engaging the clutch
> too soon and plowing the maximum engine torque through it. Most TCCs aren't
> designed to handle the full torque of the stock engine let alone the torque
> of a modified motor and may be damaged if locked too soon.
>
> I thought this was a problem for the GN crowd some time back where chips
> were engaging the clutch to reduce driveline slippage (and thus get better
> ETs/MPH) but the price was wasted converters after only a few runs...

Mine stock already locks the TCC under WOT.   At 95 mph it locks the
TCC no matter what, and so far I have not burned my TCC clutches out.
I am also willing to buy one of those multiclutch converters that are
supposed to survive this sort of abuse.  I already have one of the
Viligantie convertors, but the stock programming locked the TCC at WOT
already, which I thought was supposed to destroy the convertors
anyway, and so far has not (over 140 1/4 runs, 116k on tranny).

				Roger