carbide cylinder bore conversion (Bore Tech)

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sun Jan 10 20:33:23 GMT 1999

>At 10:00 AM 1/10/99 -0700, you wrote:
>

>>Bore Tech claims that the rings will seat OK with conventional use, my plan
>>is to come up a stray cylinder liner (from something else) which can be
>>finished to the correct bore, and also carbide treated.  Then use the liner
>>and an old piston (or make something) as a lap and a holder for the new
>>rings, and hand lap the rings to pre-seat them prior to assembly of the
>>motor.
>
>I was always under the impression that the rings had to be seated to the
>cyl they'd be working in, because the polish/hone patterns would be
>different between bores.  The rings may seat well in the "spare" liner, but
>then would have to re-seat all over again in the cyl they were destined
>for...  I'd think that would cause excessive wear and increase end gaps.

Not really so when dealing with an 8 u inch polished finish. If the bores
are the same diameter (within a couple of ten thousandths, and all
straight, no prob. I thought about lapping each set of rings to its own
hole, but decided that the extra block clean-up was a nightmare (not to
mention stray lapping compound) waiting to happen. (Lapping compound in
this case would be more like jewelers' rouge than what you are used to
thinking of for lapping valves. WAY finer.) Lots of serious HP boat motors
are pre-seated this way. It works. Also saves a LOT of break in debris from
floating around insside the engine.

Regards, Greg