Non-linear fuel pressure reg - #2

Mike Pitts mpitts at ns-alpha.emi.net
Sun Jan 10 22:45:02 GMT 1999

>>Could I change the spring to a lighter spring with
>>a faster rate to alter the regulator's rate...

>I do not understand how you intend to get a "faster rate" from
>a "lighter" spring?????

I may not understand or use the terms correctly, but here's
the hypothesis which prompted my question.

The fuel pressure is lowered by vacuum on the top side
of the diaphram.  This is the same side the spring is on.
The pressure of the fuel is on the bottom side of the diaphram.

Every unit of vacuum lowers the fuel pressure by an equal
amount.  So, vacuum compresses the spring.  My assumption
is that if I make the spring *easier* to compress, the same
amount of vacuum will raise the diaphram farther and result
in even less fuel pressure for a given amount of vacuum.

But then it occured to me, the diaphram surface area on which
the fuel presses against, and the surface area of the vacuum
side of the diaphram is equal.  So the vacuum is probably just
acting as a delta to the fuel pressure only, not the spring, and
the spring is probably just setting the base pressure.  In other
words, a faster rate spring will simply compress more from the
fuel pressure alone, then the delta created by vacuum will remain
the same.  So I guess there's a good chance that using a spring
of a different rate won't make any difference.

I know nothing about fluid mechanics, so please bear with me.

After staring at this cut apart regulator some more, it occurs to
me that I can easily decrease the surface area on the fuel side
of the diaphram by making the return oriface much larger.  The
area of the diaphram (on each side) is approx. 1.6 sq/in.  If I
could reduce the area of the fuel side to 0.8 sq/in, will I achieve
a 2:1 ratio??  Or is there a square or square root in there
somewhere that means I can get a 2:1 ratio without halving
the surface area?

Thanks,
-Mike
Mike Pitts