Non-linear fuel pressure reg - #2

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 10 21:26:21 GMT 1999

At 02:02 PM 1/10/99 -0700, you wrote:
>>Just cut my regulator open.  Could I change the spring
>>to a lighter spring with a faster rate to alter the regulator's
>>rate rather than messing with the diaphram size?
>
>I do not understand how you intend to get a "faster rate" from a "lighter"
>spring?????
>
>A softer rate spring would change the relationship of fuel pressure to
>reference pressure--shift the line to the left as it were--giving lower
>fuel pressure relative to a given reference pressure--and vice versa for a
>stiffer rate spring, but neither would not change the "rate" (slope) of the
>line. You need a bigger diaphragm to do what you are talking about.

Actually, you can change the rate with a spring...  Look at the "cargo
coils" sold by Dana for cars... they hav a progressively higher number of
coils per length near one end... (wound closer together at one end than the
other) as it's compressed, the rate increases... this way they are able to
have a low rate when the car is unloaded for comfort, and a higher rate
when it's loaded to keep it from bottoming out.  Done on a smaller scale it
could be done for a regulator, but there would be an awful lot of man (or
woman) hours into researching the proper spring to get the desired effect.
Later,
Dave

           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
       I am Pentium of Borg...division is futile...you will be approximated.