carbide cylinder bore conversion (Bore Tech)

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Mon Jan 11 22:47:35 GMT 1999

>In a message dated 1/11/99 6:53:32 AM Pacific Standard Time, bearbvd at sni.net
>writes:
>
><<
> Hey---nice suggestion. Thanks, Fred. I was thinking of just using a spring
> or some other sort of a flexible connection to the ring holder, but lazier
> is always better!!!
>
> Where to find the diamond lapping compound?? Is there a variety of grit
> sizes?? If so which is best??
>
> Regards, Greg >>
>
>Thanks, glad you liked the idea. Thought a bit of work and a couple of sensors
>on the air cylinder, you could make the lap programmable.
>You can get diamond lapping compound from most industrial supplies. Enco
>Manufacturing has it 5 ml syringes with a soluble carrier for less than USD
>10.00 per tube. Finest is 0-2 micron, coarsest is 36-54 micron.
>Everyone on the list should get an Enco catalog. It is the Sears of machinery
>both small and large.
>Enco Manufacturing
>5000 W. Bloomingdale
>Chicago, IL 60639
>1-800-use-enco
>1-800-873-3626
>
>On a similar note, there is a Nikasil facility somewhere in the states now.
>they can coat cylinders with a Nickel Silicon coating by the explosion of a
>filament wire. It has been used on Linerless cylinders from Porsche and a
>number of small bore motocross bikes. Wish we had it when the Vegas were
>around. Similar to Bore Tech in that you finish to size, and then coat. Works
>fantastic as long as long you filter the air and oil. Good place for an Oberg
>type filter.
>Wish you luck on the experiment. Keep us posted.
>Fred

Yeah--as always, some luck will be needed. Your use of the words "solid
lap" got me to thinking some more--mebbe the liner should be finished to
the same bore as the polished bores in the block, but with a cross-hatch
pattern from maybe #80 or #120 stones, and then be given the carbide
treatment. The thought is that maybe this approach would give the lapping
compound somewhere to "hide" and something to work against. What do you
think??

If Enco is Sears, does that make MSC = J C Penney's?? :-)

Regards, Greg