TCC lockup - which scheme would give better performance?

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Wed Jan 13 15:46:29 GMT 1999

On 14 Jan 1999, Tom Parker wrote:

> Roger Heflin <rah at horizon.hit.net> wrote:
>
> >I am not worried about the torque multiplication.  I am just happy if
> >the torque convertor is slipping enough to put me at a higher torque
> >position on the engine.  Probably before the TCC was locking up at
> >somewhere around peak torque, now my peak torque is higher, I guess I
> >should lock it around peak engine torque.
>
> I know virtually nothing about automatics, but if I had such a cammy engine
> with a manual box, then I would just wring it out further before changing
> gear. In my mini I slip the clutch and/or the wheels at about 3500-4000 rpm
> until the wheels stop slipping, and the wring it out to 7000 or so. Changing
> gear, even with a standard gearbox still keeps me in the power band.
>
> Why can't you just move the shift points of the auto? I suppose they must be
> difficult to change or you would have done it already, right?

The shift points are hard to change, supposely change springs by trial
and error.   I manually shift it with a shift light, and I believe I
am already shifting at the optimal point.  If I raise the shift point
200 rpm then I seem to go slower.  I have tested several times, and
the optimal shift light settings is at 6000, which means by the time I
shift it and the tranny finished that the engine has hit 6300-6400
rpm.  I have looked at the settings and the idea is to lock the TCC
high in 2nd and give me a few more mph in 2nd.  It looks like it
should give me 6 more mph before needing to shift.  I have devised a
way to do it without adding any code.  I will just need to change a
branch statement , and adjust some data.  I figure since it is already
locking up at WOT there should not be any more power at WOT in 2nd
than in 3rd where the factory already has it lockup.  Also as I play
to set it up it wil unlock when it goes into 3rd.

			Roger