555 EFI: Voltage level conversion

Don Holtz daholtz at axionet.com
Sat Jan 16 20:10:01 GMT 1999

Here is another idea:

Since the span of the voltage range that you want to move is smaller (and
not inverted), you can do the conversion WITHOUT using any kind of active
stage.  However, it may be necessary to use some buffering at the input or
output depending on the proceeding section of circuit.

Try this: use a simple resistive voltage divider to reduce the span of the
0-5V signal to  a 0-1.666 signal.  Then use a diode level shifter with high
impedance biasing to shift the range from 0-1.66V up to 3.333-5V.

There are many variations on this idea possible: use a 3 terminal
adjustable regulator as a voltage shifter.

How exact does this conversion need to be?

If you want me to draw up a diagram I will.  And email it to whoever wants.

Just ask.

Cheers,
Don