DIS Integration

Tedscj at aol.com Tedscj at aol.com
Sun Jan 17 02:13:00 GMT 1999

In a message dated 1/16/99 8:56:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, nacelp at bright.net
writes:

<< s the following correct?.

 There are three Buick v-6 DIS setups

 1.   85-87  RWD  that uses a crank sensor, and a cam posistion
 sensor that would go where the distributor would normally.

 2.   FWD using a crank sensor, and then the cam sensor is in the
 timing chain cover (meaning there are two separate sensors).

 3.  FWD where both the crank, and synch sensors are located
 on the crankshaft pulley.
 Thanks
 Bruce

Well, I converted my car to DIS.  My DIS came from the FWD 2.8 and 3.1 V6's
from about '87 to '91 (maybe later) J-bodies.  But I don't think it was used
on any Buicks.
It utilizes ONE sensor reading off the crankshaft from about it's center (the
sensor goes in to the center of the block).  There are 7 pulses.  1 every 60
degrees (TDC, TDC+ 60, TDC+120, etc.) plus 1 additional at 10 degrees after
TDC for the sync.
I just welded some bolt heads on to the edge of one of my pulleys in the
appropriate places and then created a bracket for the sensor and it worked.
Again, there is only ONE sensor that transmits ALL pulses PLUS the sync pulse.

HTH
Ted