DIS Integration

Mike Pitts mpitts at emi.net
Sun Jan 17 07:11:21 GMT 1999

>> 1.   85-87  RWD  that uses a crank sensor, and a cam posistion
>> sensor that would go where the distributor would normally.

This correctly describes the system used on Buick Turbo engines
of the 84-87 model years.  (And '89 TTA)

The crank hub has three interrupters equally spaced at 120 deg.
The cam position sensor has one window.  All the cam position
sensor is used for, as far as timing is concerned, is telling the
module which crank interrupter is #1.  Fuel wise, it is used for
the timing of the sequential fueling system, since it would be
impossible to determine the proper sequential fuel timing from
the crank (720 degrees per 6 injector rotation).

I am interested in adding DIS to my 4.3L Chevy V6.  Adding a
method of determining the #1 cyl. is probably all that would be
needed since the six point "star" inside the distributor could
suffice as a crank sensor replacement as it provides 3 pulses
for every 360 deg. of the crank.

-Mike