Air Volume Calculation

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at idirect.com
Sun Jan 17 22:12:05 GMT 1999

A really rough rule of thumb for a single monoblade wide open throttle
airflow rate is 140 cfm (@ 1.5"Hg pressure drop)  per square inch of open
throttle area (total bore area minus the throttle shaft cross-sectional
area).    Greatly oversized monoblades can reduce the pressure drop loss,
but they can also introduce tip-in control and part throttle driveability
problems.  Sometimes you can fabricate/attach a decreasing radius linkage to
mechanically "slow" the initial monoblade rotation with respect to
accelerator pedal travel if the later issue is a problem.

Have Fun;
Walt.