DFI, Batch Fire, and other myths

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Thu Jan 21 17:08:16 GMT 1999

The sometimes less than accurate GM classes I've attended teach that
injection should occur when the intake valve is closed,and be
completed immediately prior to intake valve opening.  This would make
use of the heat in the head of the valve help keep fuel from pooling.
This was mentioned earlier.  This might be GM's approach to sefi.
According to a service bulletin, the 3.8l engine suffers from carbon
accumulation on the back of the intake valve which significantly
reduces performance.  I've seen the effects. It's very similar to
losing the accelerator pump on a carb'ed engine, and the exhaust is
excessively rich.  My thought was the carbon is insulating the valve,
preventing vaporization.
Shannen