DFI, Batch Fire, and other myths

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Thu Jan 21 20:14:00 GMT 1999

>Doesn't a venturi atomize fuel very well in any case?  As stupid as it
>sounds, why not make an intake that has a venturi for each port and
>feed the fuel to the venturi at each intake port.  You'd have a lota
>throttle shafts and such, but it would atomize the fuel better, no?
>What mechanical devices atomize fuel well?  How well does a mechanical
>injection atomize fuel?
>
>Andy
>
>p.s. what does IR stand for?

Sorry--IR= individual runner (with a throttle in each bore for carbs)

What atomizes the fuel so well in good carbs is the combination of an air
bleed jet, an emulsion tube (which, as the name implies, emulsifies the
fuel with the bleed air) , an auxiliary venturi (booster in Holley speak)
and a choke (venturi in Holley speak). Haven't tried it, but I do not think
just a venturi (the big one) would do much to help. Take a look at Barry
Grant's "VFI" system if you do not mind a wet manifold. They have made
considerable effort to get better fuel atomization out of injectors. IMHO
VFI is the best of the TBI options, by far.

As for how to atomize injected fuel VERY effectively--I intend to borrow
some technology from the world of large stationary boiler burners. The two
magic words in that area are steam atomization and air atomization!!

Regards, Greg