PROMs and Copyrights...

Orin Eman orin at wolfenet.com
Sun Jan 24 22:05:15 GMT 1999

> I think that if the GM really wanted too, they could totally cripple
> the aftermarket prom industry (for GM cars anyway).  GM has
> attorneys on staff (probably hundreds if not thousands).  How
> many aftermarket chip companies could go up against that?

> My guess is that GM does not pursue the aftermarket chip
> companies because it would make for really bad PR.  Just
> my opinion.

Yes, bad PR and bad for sales...  there is a segment of the market
that considers the availability of 'performance enhancing' chips
a factor in what vehicle to purchase.  If GM stomp out the chip
vendors, and without a doubt they could, then they lose this
segment of the market.

So I think they are busy looking the other way.

As far as copyright is concerned, my guess (IANAL etc.) is that
it is technically illegal to sell a chip containing modified GM
code - it would be a derivative work.  Just changing a few bytes
or tables isn't sufficient...

However, GM would be hard pressed to prove any actual damages.  After all,
you need their hardware to run the code!

Now if someone was to sell their own hardware with GM code, I
would expect GM to stop them.

Orin.