PROMs and Copyrights...

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Mon Jan 25 13:37:47 GMT 1999

-> Camaro and Firebird - arguably the main carlines that involved any
-> aftermarket computer "chipping" at all. I think more Trans-Am buyers
-> will tweak their computers than, say, Park Avenue owners.

 Truck chips are very popular.  More trucks out there than Camaros, too.

-> Chip modifications have been around for quite some time, since the
-> mid-80s at least and GM apparently showed no interest in all of that
-> time period to do anything about "hacked" PROMs. I should ask myself
-> "Why would they (or any carmaker for that matter?) all of a sudden
-> express an interest to stop hobby-hackers?"

 Same reason they no longer use socketed PROMs - the Fed.  All it would
take would be a memo from the EPA and the lawyers would start deciding
which vendors to make 'examples' of.

==dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us======================================
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?