Resolution.

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Mon Jan 25 14:00:52 GMT 1999

>But, but, what about the filtering?.  Doesn't that fly in the  face
>of needing absolutely accurate MAP sensing?.
>  **Notice the question mark, I'm asking.
>  This "filtering" is a funny animal, in so far as using larger ID/
>loner sensor lines can make a vast difference on some
>applications, and I've always had better response with smaller
>shorter lines.
>Bruce

There are strong fluctuations in MAP, size and frequency of fluctuations
depends on design of motor. Ecu needs an average value to perform its fuel
rate calcs.

Sooo--you can filter between the motor and the sensor or between the sensor
and the A/D converter or digitally after the A/D converter. (Or any
combination you want of these.) If you do it on an analogue electrical
basis between the sensor and the A/D converter, you would use an R/C
network--and the math of different size/length tubes between the  motor and
the sensor,  for doing it there, is virtually identical to that of an R/C
network should you choose to do it electrically. All kinds of ways to
accomplish the job digitally, if you choose to do it that way (look at
knock sensors).

If your sensor's response rate is not up to the frequency of the MAP
fluctuations from the engine, you will HAVE to use some mechanical
(connecting tube variations) filtering to avoid getting garbage output from
the sensor.

Regards, Greg