PROMs and Copyrights...

steve ravet Steve.Ravet at arm.com
Mon Jan 25 16:35:05 GMT 1999

One of Garfield's last posts to the list was a summary of a conversation
he had with his attorney and a patent attorney about reverse
engineering.  It's too long to reproduce here, but it's in the archives
right here:

http://efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu/diy_efi/archive/archive_num_100;lines=58166-58305

Bottom line is that the patent/copyright system is designed to protect
the inventions, while allowing others access to them, and allowing these
others to incrementally improve them.  While having their improvements
also protected.

--steve