Chip pack

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Mon Jan 25 16:40:05 GMT 1999

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Guenther,Max wrote:

> I just got my 90 vette ecm in the mail and pulled out the chip.  Inside
> the pack there is a home made looking monster on top of two smaller
> chips(i dont know what the little chips are yet as I dont have the
> courage to touch the monster)  Anyway what is it for?  Also does anyone
> know the speed of the rom chip?  I found a 27c256- 150 is this ok.(i'd
> leave the original alone)
> Thanks,
> Max

I believe the other chip (the one that looks custom) is the esc
module (otherwise known as the knock sensor module/filter).  If you
mean by home made looking monster the blue container with the two
chips in it and a 68? pin IDC connector on the bottom (connector like
a ribbon cable from a IDE/SCSI internal disk drive, with 68 pins) that
that is what the two chips.   The other chip is the ROM of course.  I
have a connector rigged to be able to plug the monster (or at least
the pins that matter) into a prom programmer without removing it from
the set.   I will probably just take the top of the container off to
erase it, and program it in the containter.   I have read the chips ou
using this setup.

					Roger