DFI, Batch Fire, and other myths

James Ballenger ballengerj at sprynet.com
Thu Jan 28 08:10:30 GMT 1999

Greg Hermann wrote:

> Betcha it was a crush sleeve. The too long driveshaft pounded the companion
> flange on the pinion into the sleeve hard enough to smush the sleeve beyond
> where it was supposed to be, and the rest was history. No doubt the too
> long shaft was what got the rear mount bolts too (before you fixed them!

It would make a noise on the 1-2 shift, so I saw the bolts missing and thought the
driveshaft was jacknifing.  It still made the noise afterwards, in retrospect that
was probably the rearend massive death cry.  Damn.

> The crush sleeves are cheap for the mfgrs to use in a production
> situation--beyond that they are not worth a #@$% !!!! For any performance
> application, or even just for a quality rebuild, a conversion to positive
> pinion preload shims is HIGHLY recommended for ANY rear axle!!!

    Now I want to rebuild the sucker.  I will probably ask about this again when I
actually take the thing completely apart and can get and idea as to what some of the
doo-hickeys in there are.

    James Ballenger