More DFI q's...

Matt Beaubien mbeaubie at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Thu Jan 28 08:10:53 GMT 1999

Hi all,

Just got back from some more dyno testing of the R-trim 302 Ford I'm helping
with.  It's a good thing I'm helping out, as who knows what the guys at the
shop would end up with.  I stepped out for a while and they were trying to
take timing out of it by adjusting the NO2 retard.  The engine isn't running
NO2 and the DFI isn't setup to do so...

Anyway, I've decided that I like the Felpro software _much_ better than
Calmap.  I seriously think that you could get away with not dynoing the
engine with the FP system, and probably end up with better maps (assuming
the FP has the UEGO.)  I haven't actually run an engine on the FP unit but I
can see how the s/w is much superior.  Accel has a lot of work to do one
Calmap to bring it even close to FP.

Anyway, we haven't done any heavy testing but managed to get 600 HP at 6000
RPM with ~21 psi boost. This is with no water running through the
intercooler (Vortec pump died) and very minimal tuning.  The owner was
expecting ~18 psi max so I don't know how much we'll see at 7000 RPM.  Water
in the intercooler will bring the boost down but probably not a whole lot.
I personally wouldn't be pushin the engine so hard without proper
intercooling, but hey, it's not my motor ;-).

One minor problem we're having right now is when the throttle is opened and
the load is applied, the revs climb, the motor hiccups, recovers, and then
climbs again.  It happens long enough after the throttle is open that I
don't think it's a TPS enrichment problem.  Just thinking about it now, I
think it might be the delta MAP enrichment as it could be triggered with the
rapidly rising boost.  The dyno operator has tuned a similar engine (don't
know if I want to see his maps...) and said that it hiccuped at what seemed
to be the transition to positive MAP and could not be tuned out.  I doubt
that statement and will do what I can to prove him wrong ;-).

I think if we can start a section on the homepage with maps (fuel and
timing) from various engines, factory tuned or not, it would be of great
help to those building/programming their own systems.

Any comments or suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Matt Beaubien
mbeaubie at ualberta.ca
1 x 300ZXT